Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Dear summer...

This year we're going to be the best of friends. Because this year I'm going to celebrate you, I'm going to live you, and I'm going to embrace you. I know, I know. It's hard to believe. I've been so absent these past few years, hiding in the air conditioned house. Avoiding you and your humidity. I'm such a bad friend, I know. But guess what? I hate being hot. And sweaty. And sticky. This year I promise to change though. I will be able to experience your brief annual reign and our long-lost relationship to the fullest this year. 

But in order to experience you fully a few things will have to change. And while change is always scary (even if it's just a teensy tiny bit so --- don't lie), this year not only will I embrace it, but I will encourage it, instigate it, perpetuate it.

Instead of running around behind my children all day spot treating the carpets (yeah, who am I kidding? You all know that's not me.) I will forget about all their little messes until after they're in bed and worry about focusing my attention on them while they're awake.

I will try my hardest to stop letting the little things get to me, and to remember that my kids are exactly that --- kids. Which means they aren't always proper or polite, or neat or nice, or quiet or cooperative. And on the occasions when they aren't those things I will change my behavior by addressing these situations calmly instead of letting the stress and annoyance turn me into a mean mommy.

I will ensure the 4 most important things in my life know they're the most important things in my life. I will play with my children.  I will look each one of my kids in the eye and tell them that they're beautiful and that I'm proud of them and that I love them EVERY single day. Even the bad ones.

I will help my children create lasting memories of you, memories that they will one day use to define you. I will help them build forts and teach them to roast marshmallows. I will let them make their own popsicles and give them the thumbs up to eat 'em all in one day, if they want. I will let them stay up all night once --- if they can make it past 10:00 pm. I will take each one of them individually to do something they want to do. I will let them eat their dessert first and breakfast for dinner, but only once or twice because I'm here to help them create memories, not bad habits! I will spend all day outside playing with them, no matter how silly or confusing or non-existent (meaning: frustrating) their ever-changing, made-up rules are.

I will wake up early and stay up late and squeeze as much life in between as I can. Backyard grilling, backyard lounging, backyard napping. And (ugh, fine) non-backyard things, too. Like road trips to the beach and family walks to the park and taking Becca to feed the quack-quacks and eating with Jojo on our back deck and blowing bubbles and playing dress up. 

I will wiggle my toes in the sand on at least 5 different days. I will make sure my home is as bright on the inside as the sun will be outside. I will have fresh flowers on my table and countertops, and fresh fruit and veggies in my fridge (temporarily, until they relocate to my belly). I will drive with the music up and the windows down. I will dance while I clean up the house, and I will sleep with the windows open. But only on cool nights. The A/C will be on for hot nights. (I can't sleep in a pile of sweat.)

I will teach myself things I've always wanted to know and foster my kids' passion for learning by embracing the library and all the goodies it has to offer. I will let the kids roam free through the wondrous aisles of our local branch, and read with them as often as possible. 

I will remember that it isn't all about us, and while we are out there having fun there are others whose days aren't so bright. I will volunteer my time and donate the things we don't need; food, furniture, clothes, shoes, books, games, and whatever else I find.

I will quit technology (meaning the internet since the cable gets shut off for the summer) for 24 consecutive hours each month. I will let my bed go unmade and the laundry unfolded, until wrinkles start to set in and then I'll take care of it.

I will take lots and lots and lots of pictures, and just as many videos. Because I want to capture you for all of eternity so the kids can always remember you.

I will smile until my face hurts and laugh until my belly aches. I will be passionate and bold and loud. Because this year I'm going to live you out loud and on purpose.

1 comment:

  1. I love your post! Thanks for sharing! Live Maureen Live!

    ReplyDelete