Wednesday, June 13, 2012

In memoriam, Joseph Thomas Kelly






































I was 21 years old when you passed away. Today it has been 21 years since that day. Tomorrow you will be gone from my life longer than you were in my life.

I miss you, Dad.

I miss:

-the feel of your flannel shirts when you hugged me.

-the smell of Old Spice in the room you were in.

-sitting on your feet, untying the laces on your work boots.

-the warm summer days we spent fishing on Neponset Reservoir in a boat borrowed from Heaton's.

-the sound of your foot on the bottom step, threatening to come upstairs if we didn't get out of bed to help rake the leaves in the fall.

-you complaining to Mom about the price of cereal.

-seeing you sitting in the lawn chair out back by your garden.

-hearing you grumble at the TV if someone on it cursed while I was in the room.

-the sight of your tan fishing hat on your head.

-playing poker with you and the rest of the family around the kitchen table.

-seeing your cup of tea with the saucer.

-hearing you say, "It's OK." when I came home crying from my first fender bender.

-the twinkle in your eye and your ski slope nose.

-the Christmas breakfasts you would make with anything and everything that was in the fridge.

-Mom ironing your white undershirts.

-the handkerchief you always had in your back pocket.

-you sitting at the wooden picnic bench under the huge oak tree in the backyard watching us picking, trimming and cutting the green beans on Green Bean Saturdays.

-not hearing you say you love me but knowing and feeling you loved me by all the things you did for us.



But most of all, I miss being one of Daddy's little girls.

I love you, Dad.


No comments:

Post a Comment